There are tons of scholarships for Nigerian students to study medicine abroad and that is the importance of this post.
It is tailored specifically to those Nigerian and African students who want to study medicine abroad in any country or continent.
It is highly important that there are qualified doctors and medical researchers and practitioners in the world today.
This is one of the reasons for the widespread availability of graduate scholarships for medical students, offered at medical schools around the world.
At undergraduate level, medical school scholarships are less common. However, there are still a number of opportunities for students to gain funding for a first degree in health and medical subjects, covering a range of program types.
Whatever your area of focus – from tropical medicine to hereditary disease – make sure you check for potential scholarship opportunities.
Here are some examples of the types of medical scholarships for Nigerian students on offer at all degree levels around the world.
Full List Scholarships for Nigerian Students to study medicine abroad
Below are the Scholarships for Nigerian Students to study medicine abroad arranged with respect to countries and Continent!
Scholarship for Nigerians To study in Medicine in Australia or New Zealand
- AFPHM John Snow Scholarship – Medical scholarships from The Royal Australasian College of Physicians, awarded to students at accredited medical schools and universities in Australia and New Zealand.
- University of Auckland John Hamel MacGregor Award in Medical Science – Medical scholarships for international and domestic students to study for a Bachelor of Medical Science or a postgraduate research degree at the University of Auckland in New Zealand.
- University of Melbourne Baillieu Research Scholarship – Scholarships for medical students to study in Australia at graduate level at the University of Melbourne. Preference given to Australian descendants of WW1 soldiers.
- University of Wollongong Undergraduate Scholarship – Medical school scholarships for undergraduate students, to fund study in the Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health at the University of Wollongong in Australia.
Scholarship for Nigerians To study Medicine in North America
- ACLS Scholarship for Healthcare Providers – Scholarships for medical students currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate level medical program. You’ll need to submit an essay discussing emergency medical care from the perspective of a medical student.
- AMA Minority Scholars Award – Medical scholarships for underrepresented students studying medicine in the US. Eligible students include African-Americans, Alaskan Natives, American Indians, Hispanics and Native Hawaiians.
- American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholarships – International scholarships for graduates aged 35-50 who are interested in medical teaching or research, to study and undertake research in the US.
- AMWA Awards – The American Medical Women’s Association funds medical school scholarships and fellowships on offer to all AMWA student members.
- ASCP Siemens Scholarships – A range of medical school scholarships for graduate medical technologists, technicians and scientists to study in the US at selected medical schools.
- ASME Grants and Fellowships – Various international scholarships for medical students, teachers and researchers to continue their medical education in the US and outside.
- Doctor on Demand Scholarships – Health organization ‘Doctor on Demand’ offers scholarships for medical students, or students in related fields, to fund studies at a university in the US.
- Edith SeVille Coale Scholarships – Scholarships for women in their third year of medical school studying in the US at one of four medical schools near Washington DC, including Johns Hopkins University’s School of Medicine.
- University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine Awards – Doctoral scholarships for students enrolled in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Calgary in Canada.
- US Army Health Professions Scholarship Program – The US army will pay 100% of the tuition for a graduate-level healthcare degree for any accredited medical, dental, veterinary, psychology or optometry program in the US or Puerto Rico. For US residents only.
- UCLA David Geffen Medical Scholarships – Merit-based scholarships for students (including international students) entering the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Provides financial support covering 100% of the four-year cost of attending medical school – including tuition, accommodation and other expenses.
Scholarship for Nigerians To study Medicine in Europe
- AMC Amsterdam Merit Scholarships – Medical school scholarships for non-EU/EEA students who are studying at master’s level in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
- Carl Duisberg Scholarships – Medical scholarships for students currently undertaking their clinical traineeship or practice year in selected medical fields. Eligible candidates include international students wishing to study in Germany and German students wishing to study abroad.
- Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Scholarships and Grants – Research scholarships for students within the fields of clinical or basic biomedical research wanting funding to conduct independent research in Denmark.
- University of Copenhagen PhD Scholarships – PhD scholarships offered by the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
- The Karolinska Institutet Global Master’s Scholarships – Scholarships for international students to study at master’s level at the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden.
Scholarship for Nigerians To study Medicine in the UK
- King’s College London Social Science, Health and Medicine Bursary – One bursary award for entry onto the university’s BA/BSc degree in Global Health & Social Medicine. Open to all nationalities.
- NHS Student Bursaries – One of the most prominent funding bodies in the UK for medical students, the NHS offers large numbers of grants every year to students who are studying medicine. Eligibility varies, but generally these bursaries are only available to residents of England.
- QMUL John Abernethy (Barts) Scholarship for Medicine – Need-based scholarships for medical and dental students studying at Queen Mary University of London on an MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) or BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) program.
- St George’s Medical Scholarships – Various graduate and research scholarships to study at St George’s University of London within the field of medical, biomedical and health sciences.
- TEG Postgraduate Training Fellowship in Medical Statistics for African Students – Funded by the UK Medical Research Council, this fellowship allows a master’s student from sub-Saharan Africa to study at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) on the MSc in Medical Statistics.
- University of Cambridge Graduate Course in Medicine Bursary – Scholarships for medical students from within the EU to gain funding for study at the University of Cambridge.
- University of Edinburgh Mary Orr Paterson Scholarship – Scholarships to study in the UK, open to Czech, Polish, Russian and Slovakian students undertaking an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in the College of Medicine and Veterinary Science at the University of Edinburgh. The school also offers the Global Health Academy Master’s Scholarship for graduate students from developing countries.
- University of Glasgow Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences Scholarships – Various master’s degree scholarships for medical students and students in related subjects to study at the University of Glasgow. International students from outside of the EU are eligible.
Scholarships for Nigerians To study Medicine anywhere!
- Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships – A small number of doctoral scholarships are available for students to undertake medical research at doctoral level at a university in the UK, Ireland, or a low-to-middle-income country (full list here).