There are tons of scholarships now targeted to support members of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community, especially those facing serious segregation and discrimination.
While LGBT scholarships are relatively common in some countries, such as the US, they’re rare or unheard-of in other countries. So this type of funding may or may not be available, depending on your intended study destination.
For an overview of some of the scholarships for LGBT students currently on offer, check out our country-by-country breakdown below.
Bear in mind that some schemes require you to be a resident or current student.
LGBT scholarships to study in the US
- The Queer Foundation – LGBT scholarships open to all students, anywhere in the world, who have not yet graduated from high school and expect to attend college or university in the US.
- The Pride Foundation – Scholarships for current and future leaders in the LGBTQ and straight ally community from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington.
- The LEAGUE Foundation – Scholarships for LGBT students entering their first year at an institution of higher learning in the US or Canada. You must be a US citizen to apply.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals – Scholarships for LGBT students or active allies of the LGBTQ+ community, to support undergraduate or graduate degrees in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
- The Point Foundation – A large scholarship-granting organization aimed at supporting LGBTQ students, assessed on academic merit.
- PFund – LGBT scholarships for Minnesota residents or students who are enrolled in a post-secondary academic program in the state.
- Roy Scrivner Research Grants – Student grants for graduate students to conduct research which encourages the study of LGBT family psychology and LGBT family therapy.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays – Provides awards for those who identify as LGBTQ or as a straight ally.
- Human Rights Campaign Scholarship Database – A good resource for searching for LGBT scholarships and other funding opportunities by state.
- The Rainbow Scholarship – Open to LGBTQI US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled as undergraduates at US universities, who plan to study abroad.
- Pride of the Greater Lehigh Valley Rainbow Scholarships – LGBT scholarships aimed at high school seniors who plan to attend (or are already enrolled at) a higher education institution in the nine US counties, as well as current students in these areas.
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health, Education and Research Trust – Awards scholarships to LGBT students in the health sciences in the US.
- The Gamma Mu Foundation – Provides support for gay men who want to further their education at a college, university, or through a vocational or professional training program.
- The Kay Longcope Scholarship Award – Provides up to $3,000 tuition assistance to an LGBT student of color who plans a career in journalism and is committed to furthering NLGJA’s mission of fair and accurate coverage of the LGBT community. The Leroy F. Aarons Scholarship Award is also available for LGBT students.
- Live Out Loud Scholarship – Awards three $10,000 scholarships each year to graduating LGBTQ high school seniors in the Tri-State area (New York, Connecticut or New Jersey).
Read about 10 of the most LGBTQ-friendly universities in the US >
LGBT scholarships to study in Canada
- University of Alberta Michael Phair Leadership Award – A scholarship for LGBTQ and two-spirited students at the University of Alberta.
- The Imperial Sovereign Court of the Wild Rose – Bursary awards for LGBTQ and two-spirited students in any accredited post-secondary education program within the province of Alberta.
- The Bill 7 Award – Scholarships for LGBTQ and two-spirited students who are in financial need and studying at any post-secondary institution in Ontario.
- The LOUD Foundation – Scholarships for LGBTQ students enrolled at Canadian universities, who are also Canadian citizens or residents.
- The Pride Education Network – Open to secondary school students in British Columbia who are preparing to attend a university or college in Canada.
- Start Proud – Two Student Leadership Scholarships available for LGBTQ students enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary program of study. You must be a Canadian citizen and demonstrate alignment with Start Proud’s mission, vision and values.
LGBT scholarships to study in Australia and New Zealand
- The Pinnacle Foundation – Scholarships for young LGBTIQ people who desire to undertake full-time education at a public or private secondary school (final year) or public institution of higher education in Australia.
- Monash Queer Leaders Scholarship – One scholarship is available to an Australian or Kiwi student who identifies as LGBTIQ and is enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Monash University.
- GABA – Scholarships for GLBTI students enrolling in a full-time degree course at a recognized tertiary-level institution. Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents, and have lived in New Zealand for at least the previous two years.
- ASB Unity Network and RainbowYOUTH Tertiary Scholarship – A scholarship for a New Zealand citizen whose volunteering work has made a valuable contribution to the New Zealand Rainbow community.
Other LGBT scholarships:
- Crossing Borders – A summer academic program in Mexico which connects students of various backgrounds and ethnicities and includes Spanish language training. Includes a Diversity Scholarship for ethnic minority and LGBT students.
- The National Gay Pilots Association Education Fund – Provides scholarships for students who are actively involved in the LGBT community, have earned at least a private pilot certificate, and are enrolled in an accredited US college or university. It is not necessary to be a US citizen to apply.
- Scholarships to study in NEW ZEALAND for International Students (FULL FUNDED)
- International Scholarships for UK Students to study abroad for FREE!
- International Scholarships for BRAZILIAN Students to study abroad (FREE)
- International Scholarships for African Students to study abroad for FREE!
- International Graduate Scholarships for CANADIAN Students to study abroad!
- Scholarships for WOMEN IN MALE-DOMINATED Industries, Career & Occupations
CLICK HERE TO COMMENT!